Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gender Norms

I feel that gender norms play a pretty big role in our society. Right when we come outta our mother's womb a boy is wrapped around in a blue blanket and a girl is wrapped around in a pink blanket. Also as they grow older the boys try and put up the tough guy wall while on the other hand girls are considered stereotypically weak. Mean become the providers for the family while women become the caretakers. I do believe this is slowing changing though i mean look into previous generations and start at the 50s, than, the 60s and work your way up. I do believe we are heading in the right direction when it comes to this.

1 comment:

Patrick Witt said...

I agree. It's true that right as we are born we become thrown into the groups and stereotypes that we've come to love and know today. Men are tough and women are the damsels in distress. That's what we originally thought. But I agree once again that we are growing away from these ideals. I think we're becoming a little more progressive and equal.