Friday, April 13, 2012

Socialization

For me, my socialization has been most dependent on school. I spend five days a week, eight hours a day, with the same people, in the same classrooms for 365 days. School is the place that I spend the majority of my time with, and at school I am surrounded by people who I've known for years. Through the things I learn, and the people I meet in school, I have become the person I am today. The values, the social skills, and behaviors that I've learned are mostly from my interactions with my classmates and teachers. The social institution that has contributed the least to my socialization is religion. This is mostly because I am not religious. For some people, religion m be a huge part of their lives, but for me it has contributed nothing to mine.

2 comments:

Ashley Krippinger said...

I also agree that school has a large impact on socialization. Because you're surrounded by so many of your peers at school, this gives you an opportunity to learn from your peers. Also, school presents students with expectations. These expectations also form a person.

Anna Aiello said...

School does change you a lot as a child. I would like to hope that it didnt totally shape me socially because some of those years were brutal.