Thursday, September 15, 2011

8th amendment

I think cruel and unusual punishment totally depends on the person's character. Because everyone has different perspectives, so something I may think is cruel, someone else may not. You reap what you sow. So basically if you do something really stupid you're going to pay the consequences. The consequences should be equal to the crime committed. So yes, I think the amendment needs to be more specific, otherwise it can end up being too broad of an interpretation to different people.

4 comments:

Ahnna Yoo :) said...

I agree with Katie with saying that the level of cruelty depends on the person being tried for their crime. If the consequences aren't laid down properly, the criminal can argue with the case and say the punishment is too much.

rachel_freund said...

I agree with Katie as well. I like what she said about the consequences being equal to the crime committed . The consequences need to be shown and specific in the eighth amendment in order for this to happen.

StaceyBooth said...

This is similar to what I said in my post. I agree with what Katie said about the consequences being equal to the crime and that everyone has a different perspective of what is cruel.

StaceyBooth said...

This is similar to what I said in my post. I agree with what Katie said about the consequences being equal to the crime and that everyone has a different perspective of what is cruel.