Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Freedom of Speech

The Freedom of Speech is simply that - the freedom to say what you want. Currently, as a country, we have been following this freedom pretty well. Any limitation that a person may think exists I feel has simply been placed there by our morals and taboos. We might be able to say something, but as I'm sure everyone's realized at this age, we don't necessarily need to say it. I think that while some situations may become hard due to this freedom, it shouldn't have limitations. In my opinion, we either have the Freedom of Speech and it's entirety, or it no longer stays a freedom. Personally, I'd rather keep the 1st Amendment rather than ratifying a 27th one changing it due to the shenanigans people do.

4 comments:

Mrs. Corcoran said...

Remember that this is a school assignment. Although you may feel strongly about this issue, watch your language, please!

Kate Brotz said...

I edited it out. (:

Mrs. Corcoran said...

Thanks, Kate!

Patrick Witt said...

I agree with this almost 100%. I say almost because looking at the comments I notice a request from an authoritative figure asking for the language to be monitored. With all due respect to Mrs. Corcoran, I feel as if leaving out raw words will dilute a message's meaning. But I do agree completely with how we interpret some things and words as being taboo by our own definition. I also liked how you established that you would much rather have no right at all than a limited version of it. I never thought of it that way, but I feel the same.