Sunday, November 6, 2011

The 1%

As part of the 99%, and watching how struggles with money have affected my family over the years, my knee jerk response as to whether or not we should make the most wealthy people in this country help the less fortunate is yes. However, I have to remind myself that one of the basic principles that we have decided on as a country is that we are going to be a capitalist society, and people being able to become disgustingly rich is a part of that. Is it fair that there are people hording money away to pay for their family's expenses for generations to come while there are others just trying to find enough spare change to give their kid some milk money? I don't think so, but others would argue that because in capitalistic theory both people had the same opportunity to become rich, it is absolutely fair.

So long story short, I can't decide. Personally, I want them to have to pay more to help the poor, but I also understand why they don't have to. This is definitely a very complex issue.

No comments: